First of all, if you're the kind of woman that feels the need to own multiple flap bags (regardless of how similar they are) then by all means, buy both. Buy three, four, five! We support your decision (addiction?) to flap bags... After all, there are worse things to be addicted to.
Let's start with two of the most prominent flap bags of the past decade; the Chanel Boy Bag and Dior Diorama. Two beautiful pieces by two of the most important fashion houses of all time. Though similar in structure and silhouette, both bags exude different aesthetics and styles.
The Chanel Boy
The Boy bag was first introduced in Chanel's Spring 2012 collection and it's safe to say it holds "instant classic" status. An edgier, cooler bag in comparison to Chanel's iconic Classic Flap, the Boy sparked interest in a younger demographic that Chanel had yet to reach. It became so popular and in-demand that it actually gave the Classic Flap a run for its money. The perfect balance between traditional and innovative, the Boy continues to flourish to this day.
The Boy is offered in five different sizes; the WOC (7.5' x 4.5'), the Small (8' x 4.5'), the New Medium (which replaced the slightly smaller Old Medium and measures 11' x 7') and finally, the Large (12' x 8.5'). Naturally, each size serves a different purpose.
The Diorama, in all its glory, first debuted in Dior's Spring 2015 collection and took the fashion lovers of the world by storm. Dior is acclaimed for their Lady Dior bag, and no piece had yet to reach the level of success the Lady Dior brought the company - that is, until the Diorama. A more understated and discreet piece, the Diorama doesn't display Dior's signature logo charms. Its style and design is different compared to Dior's previous handbags, which is why it was immediately beloved. Like the Boy bag, the Diorama also holds the "instant classic" status as it remains desired and adored to this day.
The Diorama is offered in five different sizes; the WOC (7.5' x 4.7'), the Micro (5.5' x 3.5'), the Mini / Small (7.5' x 5'), the Medium (10' x 6') and finally, the Large (11.5' x 7'). Again, like the Boy bag - different sizes serve different purposes.
So let's compare the two. The similarities, the differences and most importantly, which one is best for YOU.
- Both the Boy and the Diorama are classic handbags that will never go out of style - this is one of the most important things to consider when purchasing a luxury handbag in general
- Both are single flap bags that share the same rectangular, box-like silhouette
- Both feature a chain strap with an adjustable leather portion that allows the bag to sit comfortability on your shoulder
- Both closures are located on the bottom middle section of the bag
- Both are most commonly crafted from grained calfskin or smooth lambskin
- Both share a fabric lined interior that features one single compartment, one slip pocket and one zip pocket (Medium size)
- Both can easily be taken from day to night and compliment any outfit in your wardrobe
- The Diorama bag sports an enlarged cannage print where the Boy is most commonly offered in Chanel's classic quilt or chevron design
- The Diorama features a push-lock closure where the Boy features a cinched lock closure
- The Diorama significantly cheaper than the Boy (Medium Diorama is priced at 2440 GBP, Medium Boy is priced at 3775 GBP). Although this could be a deal breaker for some, a Chanel bag holds its value more than a Dior in terms of reselling
- The Diorama is more futuristic and avant-garde where the Boy is more traditional
- The Diorama is more discreet and doesn't display any logos where the Boy features Chanel's signature CC lock closure, making it instantly recognizable
Naturally, since the Boy bag debuted before the Diorama, some have said that the Diorama is a copy of the Boy bag, deeming the Boy as the "original." Although, one is entitled to their own opinion, both bags show evident differences to one another. Regardless of which you prefer, one can't deny that these two pieces are stunning as well as timeless.
So if you're a Chanel woman with a love for classic luxury and balancing the traditional and the innovative, or a Dior woman with a special spot for the brand and a love for new, creative pieces that will remain stylish forever - you know which bag is right for you. Unless of course, you're a Chanel AND Dior woman, that have unconditional love for the two fashion houses and will end up buying both the Diorama and the Boy anyway! Whoever you are, whatever you love, or wherever you plan on going, both the Diorama and the Boy bag are well-worthy additions to any luxury handbag collection.
Shop Chanel bags here
Shop Dior bags here
By: Isabel de Carteret