Anyone with a social media account and a relative interest in fashion would know that Gucci bags are currently the most popular and in-demand. Seen on the arms and shoulder of countless celebrities, bloggers, social media influencers and It-Girls all over the world, a Gucci bag is an absolute must-have for any luxury handbag collection.
Two of the most desired bags by Gucci these past couple of years have been the Dionysus and the Marmont. Yes, it's possible for bags to have personalities, and both bags exude different aesthetics. Though the two differentiate in appearance, they share more similarities than you think. Whether you're a logo-fanatic or a woman with a love for the understated, there's a Gucci bag to fit your style.
Both bags were created under the creative direction of Alessandro Michele (CD of Gucci since January 2015) and have been seen everywhere since their debuts on the runway. Known for his unique collections rich in flamboyance, creativity and innovation, it's no wonder Michele produced such desirable pieces. Both the Dionysus and Marmont have since been released embellished with jewels, sequins, embroidery and motifs throughout the seasons. With Michele's love for the extravagance, it's no wonder the once classic, original pieces have gone in such dazzling directions.
The Dionysus debuted in Gucci's Fall 2015 collection and was inspired by the Greek God Dionysus, son of Zeus. The story goes that Dionysus transformed himself into a tiger so he could carry a young nymph across the Tigris River. Greek Gods are said to possess superpowers including vitality, longevity and resistance to injury, which all play a significant role in the creation of the Dionysus.
The original Dionysus bag features the iconic GG Supreme print on coated canvas. With two double flaps, the second flap is crafted from suede and the corners are visible at the front of the bag. The Dionysus also features silver-tone hardware, a chain strap and a signature tiger-head clasp that is instantly recognizable. The Dionysus is available in three sizes; the Mini (6' x 7.75'), the Small (7' x 11') and the Medium (8' x 12').
The Marmont debuted in Gucci's 2016 collection and instantly took the fashion lovers of the world by storm. Of course, when one hears the name "Marmont," the first mage that crosses your mind is the Chateau Marmont. The legendary French castle has inspired several writers and musicians. It also symbolizes the "mystique of the nouveau riche" and the "cultural icons of today and yesterday."
Although the Marmont is now available in countless different colours, the original hues are classic black and neutral-beige. Carefully crafted from smooth leather with a matelassé design, all Marmont features antique gold-tone hardware, chain strap with leather feature and prominent GG logo clasp. One of the most desirable bags for the younger fashionistas of the world, the Marmont is youthful, playful and glamorous. The Marmont is available in three sizes; the Mini (5' x 8.5'), the Small (6' x 10') and the Medium (7.5' x 12').
- both are flap bags
- both feature signature clasps
- both are very similar in size
- both feature interior zip pockets
- both can be dressed up or down
- both are considered "It" bags
- both are Gucci classics
- The Dionysus is most commonly crafted in canvas and suede as opposed to the Marmont, which is most commonly crafted in matelassé leather
- The Dionysus is most commonly offered with antique silver-tone hardware while the Marmont is typically adorned with antique gold-tone hardware
- The Dionysus features a tiger-head clasp whereas the Marmont features the increasingly iconic Marmont GG logo clasp
- The Dionysus (small) has two separate compartments divided by a zip pocket where the Marmont (small) offers one compartments with a zip pocket at the back
- The Dionysus tends to be the dressier handbag of the two - serving as the perfect statement piece, meanwhile the Marmont is the perfect everyday bag which is suitable for any casual outfit
Either handbag is a smart purchase given that they're the two hottest bags on the market right now. Two Gucci signatures with enough differences to convince yourself that you might just need both of them, the Dionysus and the Marmont are both well-worthy investments. Chic, edgy and modern, both the Dionysus and the Marmont are necessities for any young woman with a love for fashion and luxury.
Shop the Dionysus
By: Isabel de Carteret